Monday, August 18, 2014

First course of planking done (on one side!)

So I'm quite pleased with myself. Over the weekend I did the final rough/dry fitting of the bottom row of planks (port side). I broke out the 'poxy and created a fine mess. I clamped like a madman and then  squeegee'd up the dribs and drabs. Spent the night down at our friends' home on Brown's Lake, took in a couple of cocktails, a little bit of sunshine, and when I came home last night, I broke out the palm router and cleaned up the edges.

The dreaded forefoot plank, with a little bit of patience and cajoling turned out to be as easy as pie. Here are a few pictures. Of course, the photos don't do justice to that beautiful little hollow bit that happens from the forefoot stem out to the bilges of BH 2. It's a sweet little curve. All you Nav builders will know exactly what I'm talking about.

If I'm lucky I'll get to do the starboard side sometime this week. But I must head north for a couple of days and then out to Las Vegas for the remainder of the week. And then there's a wedding to attend on Saturday. Sheesh! When's a guy supposed to get an hour or two of boat building in???

The forefoot plank. All glued up and trimmed. The half circle on the front edge is residual sticky from the Joubert label that got peeled off earlier.

Side view of the first course

Stem and glued plank. Crazy that you can get that kind of bend in 6mm ply. 

oh yes...and there's the mizzen mast step. 


1 comment:

  1. That's very cool. I hope you don't mind me shamelessly copying.

    ReplyDelete