I've been looking forward to this part of the build for some time. From what I could tell, it did not look particularly difficult, and that proved to be right. I used the large 4x8' pieces of cardboard to create templates for the various parts of the deck, cut those out with an exacto knife and used the template to trace the outline onto the sheets of 6mm ply. I made the edges a little proud of the line with the intention of trimming back once the glue had set. All the cuts were made and glued up by Saturday evening, and this morning I attacked the boat with an edge router and my palm sander. I'm pretty pleased with the results.
What's left? I still have to make my boom and finish my bumkin. I need to install the coaming and cap rails. I need to carve out some wooden horn cleats. I need to do some sanding and finishing. I need to splice my lines and get the rigging ready, and bend on my sails. I figure maybe another 3 or 4 weeks depending on how much time I can dedicate during the week.
Anyway...some of the latest pictures from this weekend's work.
|Slightly oversized. Used a jury-rigged marking gauge to lay out the line for the screws. Back filled with epoxy putty|
|The mahogany lower rub-rail was helpful to temporarily clamp down the deck. There's quite a bit of curve at this part of the boat. Some slight compound curving as well toward the forward coaming area.|
|By Friday night I had trimmed most of the remaining decks.|
|Everything nicely cleaned up.|
|I have yet to finish trimming the forward coaming edge.|
|Nice view from the tip of the bowsprit. The anchor well is roughed in. I need to trim that a little better so that it matches the angle where the bowsprit tapers back to the anchor bitt/samson post.|
|Starboard quarter view as the sun was setting today.|
|The chain plates came through without any fuss. Used my trusty multi tool to cut a small slot.|
|There she is from the port side. Looks like a right little ship with her new deck on.|
|Parting shot after cleaning up the shop. You can see that I've varnished the transom and (mostly) attached the rudder.|