Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Big mistakes...


So, some of the details of my busy-ness over the past few months. 

As I said, I had installed the first 3 rows of stringers. They looked good from far, but far from good. The more I inspected my work the more I sat on the moaning stool and got depressed. Here are some pics. The cognoscenti among you will clearly see my issues:

Note the spacing between middle stringer and the two other ones. Not what I'd call a fair curve. I need to adjust the positioning of the stringer notch by about 1/2" or so.

WOW. Nice fit, huh? Just plain bad workmanship. Also notice I tried some weird idea of doing a double bevel on the stringers to match the apex points of the bulkhead stringer notches. Not how it's supposed to be done.

Here's a really egregious error. Notice how the left side of bulkhead #3 is canted forward, twisting the whole enchilada out of plane. Wasn't paying attention during the glue-up.

How bout the crummy job of attaching the stringers to the bow. They don't fit well into the rabbets and will cause real problems when I have to plane them down to accept the planking. 

Nothing for it but to cut it all off and start over. Small problem. I don't have any more stringer material. So off to the lumber yard to buy another plank of poplar. Rip and plane to size, scarf and glue to length and do it over. 



Here's my planing machine doing the final sizing to 20mm square. Big pile of stringer material on the floor. Just in case I need to do it yet again!  
 
New results are much better. Everything's straight and true, ends fit nicely into the transom and stem. Time to move forward again! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment