Saturday, December 14, 2013

Preliminary name and color scheme

So it's never too early to think about what the end project is going to look like, and I've got a list of about 15 "working names" at the moment. Top on the list of names is "Puffin".

Last year Karla and I were fortunate to take a trip to Iceland where one of the highlights was visiting the Puffin colonies. If you've never seen them, they're remarkable sea birds. Adorable as can be. They're a cousin of the Penguin, but unlike the penguin, they can fly, and frequent the northern climes. Look at this shot from our trip:

Are these just not the coolest birds ever?

Lots of people like to varnish their wooden boats. I like a little bit of "brightwork", but I'm more partial to the painted "working class" roots of traditional boats. I'm thinking of a scheme that looks something like this: Off white topsides and deck. A green sheer strake. Varnished rub rails, and black below the waterline. My spars will be wood, and I will go with a traditional varnish for the "working areas" AND white painted uppers on the non-working parts. Rudder and tiller will be varnished. Some people really like the look of dark, "tan-bark" sails. I prefer white, or off white. Here's my CAD sketch of what she may ultimately look like. I'm open to suggestions on both name and color scheme.

Preliminary sketch of "Puffin"

Another alternative would be a flag blue sheer strake with dark red bottom. 
A more patriotic Puffin

What do you think?

8 comments:

  1. My first thought when seeing the picture of the puffins was to use their color scheme: black below water line, white above, with the puffin orange strake accent color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dale's suggestion of color is brilliant. How about the name "Puffin along" (I'm laughing as a write this, but it is sorta catchy)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. Love it Yeah. The orange strake had occurred to me, but it's not a color readily available in one-part marine polyurethanes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like in music, which comes first? The lyrics or the song? In boat building, which comes first? The name or the paint scheme? And do they have to match? Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello John,
    It's really exciting to see another Navigator coming together. She's looking great so far. You've chosen a fantastic boat to build. I absolutely love mine. I enjoy her more than any boat I've owned. Best of luck with your build and thanks for sharing your journey on your blog. Looking forward to reading more as she progresses.
    Joel.
    navigatorjoel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Puffin.......love the name and a seabird which is comical, neighbourly, supreme in the water etc etc......all great attributes for a boat. White sails......I can forgive you!!!
    Colour.....prefer the dark green, off white and black.
    Echo what Joel said......navigator is a fantastic boat. Arwen and I have had a huge amount of fun together......even though she'd claim if she could talk, that her skipper is an idiot, loveable but a sailing idiot all the same
    Good luck on the blog. Really looking forward to seeing another navigator on the water
    Steve and Arwen
    Arwensmeanderings

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely like the green colour scheme... I'm interested in your choice of rig, why did you go for the gaff yawl, rather than the sloop - would have thought that the sloop was an easier build, and also easier to sail if you solo a lot???

    ReplyDelete
  8. Green sheer over off white gets my vote. You're gonna love the Navigator!

    Kevin B. Navigator "Slip Jig"

    ReplyDelete