Saturday, December 7, 2013

First cuts

So I got all the bulkheads drawn up in CAD and printed out at FedEx. I was pretty pleased with the accuracy. Everything is exactly spot on; angles to the decimal point, all measurements to the millimeter. I was a little worried about paper distortion, but from what I can tell everything has printed and laid out exactly as it should.

After getting all my tools handy, and rearranging the garage, today I began cutting plywood. I feel like I made good progress.
Tools include: Straight edge, mallet, countersink and sharpie. 

 In the series of pictures you can see bulkheads 1 and 2, the transom, and the stem are all roughly cut out.

The process to transfer the design from paper to wood is as follows:

I laid the paper onto the ply and trimmed the excess.

Bulkhead #2 trimmed 




I used a hole punch/brad countersink to mark the specific vector points. I used a straightedge and sharpie to connect the dots.



You can see the small countersink holes that I used to connect the dots.

Clamping the straight-edge to draw a fair curve for the top of the transom.

I used  Bosch jig saw with a clean plywood blade to cut the parts out.
I used a small block plane to trim some of the really rough edges and jaggies of the wood.

Seems like it's taking about 1 hour per piece to lay out, cut, and clean up. But these first ones are the easy pieces. Bulkheads 3-8 are more intricate. So I figure 15 to 20 hours of work before I have most of the bulkhead parts cut and trimmed.

Each of these parts will require a lot more work. Edges will need to be planed smooth to the cut lines, they'll need to be reinforced with plywood doublers in high stress points, coated in epoxy, filleted and sanded, which I will do before assembling them on the keel later on in the build process.

Parts...rough cut

Dry layout of bulkheads 1 and 2 on the composite stem

The sum of my work today. Note the 1/5 scale model compared to the full size pieces. 



No comments:

Post a Comment