Thursday, February 20, 2014

Centerboard cuts

After all the work of scarfing, measuring, cutting and trimming the bottom plank, plus the addition of the keelson and seat stringers, the prospect of cutting a big hole in the bottom of the boat was more than scary. I also have never really used a circular saw, so it was even more daunting. But as it turned out my fears were for naught. The measurements held true, the lines were straight and the resulting slot will accommodate the centerboard trunk very nicely. There's still a little bit of clean-up work to do on the corners, but it's mostly done. 
The chisel and edge-plane proved to be the perfect tools for the job of cleaning up the slot. 

You can see the supporting section braces underneath the cut-out, with a little bit of junk yet to be cleaned up  in the corner.
I also was able to get the first two coats of epoxy onto the garboard plank. Much easier to do now rather than after I get all the bulkheads on. It looks so shiny now...almost as if it were varnished...but it needs another coat, lots of sanding and filling in the weeks ahead.

Epoxied bottom plank

I finished fiberglassing the insides of the centerboard trunk. This will make it completely waterproof and very strong.
One side of the CB trunk glassed. The other...not. 

Now...I need to find a table saw to borrow from somebody. I've got some serious lumber ripping to do...Given some of the severe compound curves in upcoming steps, I was reading from other  builders that it's much easier to laminate the stringers, rather than bend thicker pieces.

A stack of rough sawn Honduras mahogany, ash, and white oak ready to be ripped and cut down to size. This wood will be used to  make up the rudder blank, and the CB trunk logs and top/
All these 1x1 poplar stringers need to be ripped in half. 

If the weather is nice, and I get a little bit of time this weekend, I am going to attempt to melt lead, cut a big hole in the centerboard and pour a 30 lb lead weight into it. Another series of firsts...more to come!

1 comment:

  1. I was able to bend my 20x20mm stringers without much trouble. The trick was to secure them to the stem and work your way aft. It's the 20x40 gunwale stringer that's tough to bend. That one is a whole lot easier to make from two 20x20 stringers.

    ReplyDelete