Tuesday, January 28, 2014

I couldn't resist...


I managed to get the bottom plank cut out on Monday night, and now that the base shape has been established, I wanted to see what some of the bulkheads and stem look like dry fit. 

Before I actually get to fitting them, I still need to finish the base ladder frame. There will be 9 stations of varying elevations fixed to the frame that will provide the "rocker" or bend to the garboard plank. Once these are installed, I'll glass the inside of the plank, fasten the keelson, and then begin permanently fitting the centerboard case and various bulkheads. From here on out, it will start to look more and more like a boat. 

As many people have written before me, there are myriad details to this project. It's one of those things that if you actually made a list of everything that needs to be done to complete this boat, you might never undertake the project. I'm a bit impatient by nature, and I'm constantly fighting a great temptation to jump ahead and perhaps gloss over details. But I know from my limited experience that the more detail I pay attention to now, the less work I make for myself later on. I find myself having to think several steps ahead of where I'm working. For instance, in order to save myself a massive headache later, I need to fiberglass the inside bottom of the boat now, when there's nothing in the way rather than wait until I have to work around 8 bulkheads and a transom. Likewise, I want to epoxy encapsulate each of the bulkheads now before installing them, as it will be easier to sand and clean up when I don't have to reach round fixed installed parts and stringers. It's something that wakes me up at 3 in the morning sometimes as I come up with little details that I need to attend to before moving to the next step. 

So far, though, I'm having a blast, and greatly increasing my woodworking skills every day.

Oh yes...one big AHA moment yesterday. I splurged on a compact laminate/trim router. Cool little tool, but I underestimated its power. After turning it on, I applied it to a piece of wood to test it out and it jumped right out of my hand. Not once but twice! Luckily it didn't hit me or cause any damage.  But the thought of a router cut in my leg or hand or worse is a good reminder to respect ones tools and make sure to use BOTH HANDS on routers. Even the small ones. 
Starting to take shape

You can almost imagine the shape of the boat!

2 comments:

  1. Hey John looking good. I remember when Arwen looked like this. Well done. Looks like you are having loads of fun
    Steve
    Www.arwensmeanderings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steve. I've taken great inspiration from your posts and photos as well as those of other Nav builders. I am having a great time! Just wish I had MORE time...unfortunately work and family frequently get in the way.

    ReplyDelete