Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Sundry important bits.


To take a break from some of my stringer trials, I worked on other fun parts like the mast steps and rudder blade.

Here's the main mast step being dry fitted. White oak laminated and epoxied. 

No boat can set sail without paying homage to tradition. I'd hate to be caught dead (literally) without a coin for Charon, the ferryman, so I ordered up a nice shiny new 2014 silver dollar, and cut a little spot for it in the mast step. I'll epoxy it in place...or maybe just place it in and let the mast hold it in place. Would hate to make Charon have to work hard for his fare. Also hoping that a silver dollar (vs a penny or nickel) will buy me a front row seat at the festivities. ;)

My liberty silver dollar...dry fit. 

I had laminated some white oak and mahogany pieces for the rudder blade a few months back, and it sat collecting dust in a corner of the garage. I decided to get to work giving it its final shape. Here are my results. Not quite finished yet, but getting there. Should wrap a little 'glass around it for strength?




I read someplace that I should fit the cockpit deck before attaching the sheer stringers. So I measured, cut and dry fit them. They'll be glued n screwed in at a later stage...after planking, filleting, sanding, painting...[sigh]

One half in place.



View from the stern looking forward.

Both pieces in place.

View looking forward

Getting awfully cramped in that garage space. Starting to not have enough room to work!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment